PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not-so-woke Reds
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2023, 15:34
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by dctyke
No, from 1st January to 20th March 1963. (We lost a total of 120 that year)
But how did it all break down, what were the circumstances at the time given less reliable navigation aids etc. Was servicing involved. The attitude certainly wasn't dismissive, there has been a constant learning curve shall we say, I know that with regards to display flying, there was an accident during training for the Firebirds aerobatics team that year which resulted in an ejection, one write off and the pilot being wheel chair bound as a result. However, this wasn't a result of cutting corners or recklessness from what I can understand, it was as they say, shear bad luck. Later that year 15 RAF stations were open to the public with the RAF providing the bulk of fare at each. As far as I'm aware, despite some aerobatics teams/solos appearing at three or more each, the day passed off without incident. It's not a disregard for life that was the problem so much as the greater risk involved at the time, and yes, many more aircraft scattered across the world flying in different conditions with a comparative limited reliability on known procedures etc. Again, more a learning curve.

FB

FB