PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2023, 01:08
Concours77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
What in the world is your point? They hit the water at a speed of 152 knots - of which the horizontal component was 108 knots and the vertical component 107 knots (NOT ~240 knots as you earlier claimed). Horizontal or vertical doesn't make much difference - they'll both kill you with a sudden stop... AOA was invalidated below 60 knots because it takes a minimum airspeed for the AOA vane to provide a meaningful measurement. This is a common engineering practice - below whatever speed is judged as a minimum for a reliable measurement, the output is labeled "NCD" or "No Computed Data". Similar limitations are on airspeed (typically 30 knots) and Mach (typically 0.10 Mach). Adding "On-Ground" to the AOA validity is a complication and has failure mode implications (and WOW isn't the most reliable indication in the world). As a designer, I doubt it would have ever occurred to me that an otherwise airworthy, flyable aircraft would ever get down to an indicated airspeed of 60 knots in-flight and that was a condition I needed to design for.ure, in 20-20 hindsight perhaps that would have helped the PF to figure out he was doing something really stupid, but the bottom line was that he was not a competent pilot or he would not have kept pulling back from 30+ thousand feet until they hit the water. Had he sat on his hands instead of panicking and pulling full back, the aircraft would have been just fine.
​​​​​​​I think I made somewhat the same point as you just did, or at least it was my intent.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​As a designer, would you have placed either stick to be out of sight of the other pilot...? Hard to believe you would.... ​​​​​​​In fact, are they? Very, very difficult to believe both Captain and PM would not have at least sneaked a peek. ​​​​​​​Thanks