PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2023, 00:43
tdracer

Received 182 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Concours77
Do you know the difference between speed, and velocity?
What in the world is your point? They hit the water at a speed of 152 knots - of which the horizontal component was 108 knots and the vertical component 107 knots (NOT ~240 knots as you earlier claimed). Horizontal or vertical doesn't make much difference - they'll both kill you with a sudden stop...

Originally Posted by Concours77
I think the "cutoff" value was "60 knots", Incorporated so the StallWarn would not activate on the ground. It was determined, at least on thread, that a better trigger would be "weight on wheels", "WOW". Which makes more sense. Stall is not a function of airspeed. Stall is a result of exceeding a critical Angle of Attack. To WIt: 447's velocity through the air at impact was approximately 240 knots... Was she Stalled? ...... Boy Howdy
AOA was invalidated below 60 knots because it takes a minimum airspeed for the AOA vane to provide a meaningful measurement. This is a common engineering practice - below whatever speed is judged as a minimum for a reliable measurement, the output is labeled "NCD" or "No Computed Data". Similar limitations are on airspeed (typically 30 knots) and Mach (typically 0.10 Mach). Adding "On-Ground" to the AOA validity is a complication and has failure mode implications (and WOW isn't the most reliable indication in the world). As a designer, I doubt it would have ever occurred to me that an otherwise airworthy, flyable aircraft would ever get down to an indicated airspeed of 60 knots in-flight and that was a condition I needed to design for.
ure, in 20-20 hindsight perhaps that would have helped the PF to figure out he was doing something really stupid, but the bottom line was that he was not a competent pilot or he would not have kept pulling back from 30+ thousand feet until they hit the water. Had he sat on his hands instead of panicking and pulling full back, the aircraft would have been just fine.