PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2023, 12:35
OUAQUKGF Ops

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A few more post-war snippets.

Daily Mirror 3 March 1949

Illustrated,Sporting and Dramatic News 4 May 1949 (What a Mouthful)

Grimsby Evening Telegraph 31 October 1949

Snippets about weather diversions are liberally scattered throughout the papers of the period with flights to London diverting to Bovingdon or Hurn. However the aircraft types involved are almost never mentioned. It was interesting to read of a Stratocruiser at Bovingdon. In what was left of one's mind, a hazy vision of a pristine BOAC aeroplane remained until it became clear that BOAC Stratocruisers didn't enter service until 1950. This has left us with two possibilities (pictured in 1949) below. I don't suppose that if, on this occasion, the crowds had turned out at Bovingdon - they would have got through the main gate.

London Airport

Probably the inaugural PAA Stratocruiser service from New York April 1949

OR

Schiphol 1949. American Overseas' Transatlantic Stratocruiser Service to London commenced in August 1949.

Evening Despatch 16 December 1949

This was of interest because I could find nothing about this in any newspapers or indeed on the internet. As this post has been much driven by the weather I might be forgiven for thinking that flooding had also occurred in The Near East. However I suddenly realized that there had been a Flood, not of Water but of Mankind.

On the road from Jerusalem to Lebanon 9th November 1948. Palestinians fleeing their homes during the Arab-Israeli War, probably never to return.

The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian Refugees in The Near East was created in 1949 and continues its work..........

Bucks Examiner 5 January 1962.

Photo William Schneider

Photo William Schneider

We had yet to enjoy the Winter of 1962-3 !!

Last edited by OUAQUKGF Ops; 24th Mar 2023 at 21:11. Reason: Spelin