PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fate of RAF Scampton
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2023, 10:27
NutLoose

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by skua
Whitehall is acting with an arrogance which is pissing off people within and without the political chain. I gather that, for example, the Novotel in Ipswich was sequestered at less than 48 hours notice. The staff had to be be fired becasue Serco employees were put in. It was previously the main business hotel for central Ipswich so all the associated dining and hosiptality spending spillover disappeared overnight. The local Council was powerless to intervene. This is building into a pressure cooker issue.

The decision to use Scampton is spectacularly tin-eared.
Without sounding like the national front, racist and all of that bullsh*t, that is part of the problem, it's also the hidden costs, firing the staff means it is possible some of those staff may lose the roof over their heads and become homeless, therefore hard working low paid hospitality staff who were born and bred here are being ejected possibly onto the streets as some live in, to put a roof over the head of someone who has never paid a days worth of taxes into the UK, and in all likelihood shouldn't be here.
It is a sad state of affairs when the UK cannot house and help our homeless who are forced to live on the streets, while we give full board and lodgings to those that have no right in most cases to be in this Country.
There are even pensioners that would welcome three meals a day and a warm hotel room over the winters months.

The secondary cost is possibly a hidden cost, in that these people fired through no fault of their own may well end up on benefits, or should I say those that managed to keep a roof over their heads and an address, those that can't are much more unfortunate as i believe they cannot claim without an address.

Last edited by NutLoose; 24th Mar 2023 at 10:42.
The following 4 users liked this post by NutLoose: