PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fate of RAF Scampton
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2023, 09:26
melmothtw

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Finningley Boy
We're constantly told all crossing the channel in boats are desperate and have a near irrefutable case. If you've got thousands of pounds to pay people traffickers then it would make a lot more sense to use a fraction of that to buy a flight ticket and fly to the UK, have your passport ready to present to the immigration officials on arrival, declare your wish to claim asylum and see what happens from there, if you have a strong case, surely you would be given a fair hearing. The majority of people crossing the channel in boats are mostly young men, as others have pointed out. They throw their passports away refuse to say where they've come from and prefer to pay people smugglers a fortune. I can only imagine the reason for this is because they have a very weak case to put forward for asylum. As for the EU, one reason for leaving is because it is seeking to become a single large state, already with a one size fits all currency. Jean-Claude Junker before he stepped down as Commission President, spoke of Brussels having tax raising powers of all member states, or should that be all component parts of the state?!??!

FB
Pretty sure that if you're booking a plane ticket with a passport that requires a visa to enter the UK, you have to present that visa or evidence of it on check in or you won't be boarded. The fact is, there are no safe and legal ways to claim asylum in this country - the government could process the applications in Calais if it wanted to, but make a political decision not to.

FWIW, I wouldn't support Scampton being used as a detention centre, but I think it's a mistake to conflate the fate of that historical base with immigration. They don't want to be there anymore than you or anyone else wants them to be there.

The following users liked this post: