PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2023, 07:28
Pali

Received 246 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by melmothtw
Do we know they are Ukrainian pilots? Genuine question - I can't find that reference in the link.
Yes, it was stated in the briefing given by Ministry of defence. Transfer via air was rather surprising but on the video you can see that original markings are gone and it would be impossible to expect from Slovak pilots to fly to a war zone with all the international politics ramifications.

Originally Posted by Sfojimbo
Are these planes upgraded to a NATO standard?
Many months ago that was supposedly an issue with the Polish MIG-29s.
All except two oldest ones were converted, radios, FOF, altimeters from meters to feet, etc. I've just listened to a podcast where a technician explained details about our fleet and he said that Ukrainians will be able to use almost all of them in combat because airframes have quite low hours (our air force didn't have funds to use them much).

It was a brave decision by minister Naď because in January government lost vote of confidence and new election will be held in September. It is quite likely that pro-Russian coalition will win and they threat him already now with criminal indictment for "misusing power" when sending Migs to Ukraine. I hate to say that but Slovakia will possibly join Orbán in anti Ukraine stance which will be very shameful. The years of hybrid war and massive Russian propaganda will take the toll.
If they will be able to acquire over 66% votes we may expect some form of semi-fascist regime. Horrible.
The following 3 users liked this post by Pali: