PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are we going soft?
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2023, 07:23
PiperCameron

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches
In any case I think most trepidation over single power lever ops is more to do with FADEC rather than the older hydro-mechanical mechanisms. Depending on how much control the FADEC has is where the problems can lie, ie automatic engine shut down if it doesn't like it is something, I don't like. Automatic engine controls have been around for ages from a mechanical point of view, and are very reliable. As said above a CSU prop is a simple mechanical automatic speed limiter. And most fuel injected aircraft probably have some form of simple computer involved.
Agreed. Pax can be a challenge sometimes, but I struggle to think of anything more distracting than the stupid plane either not telling you the entire story or trying to fix stuff for you in an emergency (and bleeping continually whilst at it just to make sure the problem remains front-and-centre in your mind as you head for the ground like a lawn dart. Yelling STFU might work on passengers but unfortunately not on computers!).

For reference, (a) QF32 needed one pilot 100% focussed on sorting the alarms out whilst others flew the plane and (b) you don't need to look far to find GA accident reports blaming excessive focus on the flashy stuff for killing people.