PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL/CPL Training: Ground School topics
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2004, 23:46
Decimal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face ICAO Theory credit to JAA theory?

Hi All

Does anyone know of any way that you can reduce the time/no. of weeks study that the UK CAA and theory FTOs insist that you do, prior to being recommended for JAA CPL(H) exams if you hold a professional licence from a non JAA member state?

There seems to be zero recognised reciprocity between a CAA approved theory course and a relatively similar course in a non JAA state. i.e. you would have to undergo approx 30 weeks self study (CPL) or 6months (ATPL). The FTOs and the CAA pass the buck back and forth as to whose responsibility it is to make a dispensation or credit in light of previous experience.

I appreciate that I would have to study - a lot, and pass all exams. No argument there. But surely not as much as someone who is totally "green" or a PPL.

At the moment, one option open to me is to go to Norway where their CAA will approve me for the exams at the FTOs discretion, who have agreed that 1 month in the classroom should be sufficient for the whole lot. This seems incredible to me, that a country with around 4 million and English their 2nd language can do this, yet the UK are still dragging their heels on this issue, amongst other FCL2 issues.
I would rather do this in the UK, so any ideas?

Any suggestions/comments appreciated - PM if you wish.

Decimal