PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 12:05
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Concours77
AF447. Yeah that one. My memory actually is getting better with age. To wit: I recall from early thread, either TechLog or Rumours, that the Vertical Stabilizer/Rudder was found somewhat separated and distant from the impact with the sea. There was discussion linking the loss of HF Comms with loss of VS which contained HF antenna. It was reported that the HF antenna was elsewhere on the fuselage, so that theory was sunk. Researching the possible re-engining of the 747 into a twin, I found A330 architecture, and lo! HF antenna is located in the leading edge of the A330 Vertical Stabilizer.... for whatever that might mean. I was never satisfied that PF pulled on the stick start to finish. Occam would say he had a reason, perhaps in concert with loss of all directional control..... just sayin'
Not sure I'd agree with you there sparky... if the THS had departed the scene, the next thing that happens is a very rapid nose down pitch rate develops, usually fast enough to achieve negative g loads that result in failure of the main wings in downward bending overload. Even from a stalled condition, that pitch rate would result in accelerated speed rapidly ending up with wing structural failure before an impact, following your assumption that the tail was far enough away that it separated airborne, which means a substantial height. From a stall condition, where there is no load issue that is going to break tail that has more than chewing gum holding it together, I would expect.... above 8000' AMSL, a loss of the tail will take the wings off before water entry. With a low speed, impact, separation of the tail is not unusual, and the area around the stab connection is robust, I would think it makes a darn fine sea sled at that point. The FDR showed no evidence of a change in the structure or aerodynamics or response of the aircraft to control positions. There was nothing wrong with the plane until it "alighted upon the water" , once the pitot heads had cured themselves.

That AF 447 was the 5th UAS case for AF and F-Troop wasn't on top of the game is disappointing. A lot of dead people and grieving families arising from a company that should have been on top of their game. France has a long history of competency in aviation, mon dieu!, they have M. Marcel Dassault, the designer of beautiful aircraft, he must have Italian blood there somewhere, (the Falcon 10, 20 & 50 are beautiful to fly, so was the MIrage), and yet, AF has parked B747s in Papeete, New Delhi, A340s in Toronto, and sundry other planes in untidy piles. dive their cars, fly their planes love their food and lifestyle, but what happens in front of the flight deck door?