PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow: Man Held Over 'Ammunition'
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2004, 23:38
Oscar Duece

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I think some parts of the US baggage screening are a joke, often implimented just to say they are doing something.

Example:
I was on MYT048 at the weekend, Sanford to Lgw. I check in with 2 bags. There is a notice at check in advising passengers to remove locks from bags, as random chechs are in progress and locked cases / bags could cause delay or damage.
My thoughts wondered about someone being able to steal my contents or worse a baggage handler who wasn't screened for his job or when he goes airside every day, smuggling something in my unlocked bags.
On arriving at Lgw and collecting my bags (over 40 minutes after getting off the plane) I fing my expensive lock has been cut off my holdall bag and a security zip tie put in its place. (brocked lock was inside with a note about random checks and tough **** etc.)
It turns out that about 10 % of the bags had been opended and checked at Sanford.

Do I have a problem with checks, no I want the best security when I travel. What I am unhappy about is that these checks are totally random, not based on any x-ray information. Why else would they search my holdall bag with dirty washing, but not my abs case that contained 4 aircraft brake cylinders, a parking valve, 8 dehydration plugs and some rudder pedals. What must they have looked like on the x-ray.

To me this looks like a case of being seen to do something rather that doing something meaningful.

Note: Does anyone know what happened on MYt047 on boxing day. Why he had to hold over philly for an hour (causing a divert to Norfolk vir. for fuel). What a sleepy little place that was.