PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Colombian fatal 19th March 2023
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 11:02
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
The US Army no doubt has lots of accident reports about such matters....with probably the AH-1G having more than a fair number of them.

The Huey had Tail Boom and tail rotor gearbox problems (both 42 and 90 degree) down through the early years.

I always tried to load the aircraft to as rearward CG as possible with the thought in mind of having as such a loss of cast iron.

I know of one fellow that had a 90 degree failure were the entire tail rotor departed but left one blade stuck straight through the Tail Fin from the right side with the butt end sticking out on the right side and the tip sticking out the other.

He flew the machine to a safe landing.

Key reaction has to be full down collective and careful movement of the cyclic while rolling the Throttle to Idle....and hope you have a fair bit of airspeed when it happens.....or be at a standard low hover.

Cyclic movement must be done without causing the Main Rotor striking the tail boom.

The shift in CG has to be tremendous and that alone is going to cause a lot of problems.

If you can regain control of the aircraft and maintain forward flight, even with a large side slip situation......an approach can be made by use of collective and rotor rpm.

I would suggest a shallow approach maintaining airspeed until very low to the landing surface then gradually slow the aircraft until as slow as possible before touching down.

Practice using the throttle to vary rotor rpm ahead of time....long before the actual experience pays off in gold.

Last edited by SASless; 22nd Mar 2023 at 18:53.
The following users liked this post: