PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 02:22
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by tossbag
You fellas that did CPL, Instructor and Instrument Ratings on FEE-HELP, who advised you to do all three in quick succession? Did anybody tell you you've got sweet **** all chance of getting an IFR job with a bare commercial and an instrument rating? Did anyone tell you it'll be at least 3 to 5 years before you use that Instrument Rating? (so why do it?)
In several decades of aviation I know of multiple pilots who've been doing paid IFR flying within 12 months of getting their CPL. May not be the norm for most but it's happened. An advantage to having it done is you may be the only pilot in a company with an IR, and on the day the boss needs an IR pilot as the current ones have all left suddenly then it's easier to take the one with the rating and give them a refresher than train others from scratch.

Did any of you read Fate Is The Hunter? Or Biggles books? Or any cool aviation books?
Not really. I haven't met too many who've read those books today, and of the ones who have that doesn't necessarily mean they are more competent than those who haven't. I'd rather them read the regs, study guides, ops manuals etc.

A passion for aviation is good, but that doesn't necessarily translate to competence.