PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disgusting Jetstar
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 01:57
MagnumPI

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by doublemamba
RtpicaL

Lets be honest here, a lot of the pilots I have worked with want as little to do with the passengers as possible.

I have experienced a growing culture of disregard and lack of empathy in aviation and other industries. Time is money now and that is all that matters in Australia 2023.

This culture combines with the government media driven cultures of fear, the new follow orders from the " officials" or else culture and the new import from the usa: if you complain you are an ist / orange man bad person etc etc etc.

I enjoyed working with passengers mostly and had patience with them and from what passengers told me it was a rare thing.
Could this be a factor in this increasing trend of air rage / airport rage and all the other increasing rage?

Discuss....
You're probably right.

My theory is that people are far less comfortable having difficult conversations and resolving disputes. Anecdotally, I see this all the time in business with people trying to negotiate or resolve disputes over text or email instead of picking up the phone or meeting face to face. Pre-internet you use to complain about a business by writing or calling to speak with someone who (hopefully) cared. These days most people just let loose on a keyboard, and will say things that they'd never otherwise say to a human being!

Many pilots may not be particularly charismatic (and perhaps that suits their occupation just fine most of the time) - but you should still be able to hold a discussion with a passenger.

Nothing reported on yet about whether or not the CA or FO tried to speak with the passenger before the authorities arrived with a freshly charged taser. I hope one of them tried.