PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-3
Thread: Gatwick-3
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2023, 12:16
JW95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Travel24
Qantas and United going to Gatwick for me is highly unlikely, although a week ago I would have said it was very unlikely for air Mauritius to consolidate all its London operations at Gatwick.

Looking into the future then. The next airlines most likely to start operations are air Asia, china eastern, china southern, air Tanzania and Latam. All the national carriers for African nations are highly likely too. Azul Brazil airlines, cathay pacific I think are also likely.

azul Brazil asked for slots at Heathrow for this summer but didn’t get any so I’m guessing they will ask for slots at Gatwick too. Turkmenistan airlines asking for slots is likely.

onto British airways then. I believe they will expand quite a bit in the next year, possibly announcing destinations like Abu Dhabi, Lima, Bogotá etc. short haul possibly places in Tunisia, Egypt, Germany.

I’m the next 6 months I think we will see china eastern, air Asia, china southern introduce flights after that who knows probably an African carrier.
As far as US airlines are concerned, I'm also doubtful about United, considering their desire to keep everything centralised at LHR, as they have done so for many years, even long before the Bermuda agreement of 2008. They are also unique in the sense that unlike American Airlines, Continental et al., they have never operated scheduled to/from LGW, although I think they previously ran limited charters from Gatwick in the 1980s (I stand corrected). The only way I see them remotely considering LGW will depend on what happens with JetBlue's long term operation at LGW, and whether this expands. They may, say, decide to launch LGW as a competitive response to JetBlue with their A321-NEO. What I think would be more likely is a more competitive response from BA, similar to what they did at the height of Norwegian's operation at Gatwick. Plus, they have indicated that they are now focusing more on LGW than LHR in terms of growth. Sadly, I do not see a situation where American is likely to reinstate LGW, as they were quick to leave Gatwick in 2008, and haven't flown from here since

RE. British Airways, I'm very interested to see what they will have planned for long haul at LGW going forwards, particularly as more 777s are allocated here from LHR. Bangkok has previously been highlighted as a potential route from LGW, which was of course historically served for many years from Heathrow. Have they actually terminated Bangkok completely or just suspended it?