PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the loudest GA aeroplane out there?
Old 20th Mar 2023, 19:42
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by PiperCameron
Methinks the concept of monitoring oil usage (in gal/hr) as well as fuel usage, knowing that running out of either will send you earthwards, would probably be well beyond the capabilities of most student pilots (and their EFBs) these days.
That's a pretty low opinion of today's pilots!

I doubt anyone would let a fledgling pilot loose on their round-engined machine without first ensuring they knew a fair bit about it, and the concept of regularly checking the oil tank(s) is hardly difficult so I'd have thought most would be capable of that.

Perhaps more challenging would be the need to understand the effect of superchargers (in some cases), and to be on your game for whenever one or more of the pots decide to let go (in some other cases), particularly as many of these machines are getting fairly long in the tooth nowadays.

And to get back to the title of the thread; most people seem to be concentrating on the external noise, internally the loudest machine I ever flew was round-engined. Magnificent though it was, it certainly made communication difficult, even with reasonable headsets - it would have been hell back in the day. Today's industrial deafness issues would have paled in comparison to these!

FP.