PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-3
Thread: Gatwick-3
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2023, 13:31
JW95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Future airlines to LGW

This may sound like a long shot, but would Garuda be willing to take another look at LGW? Historically, they have had a long history with LGW, originally serving Gatwick from the early 80s up until the early 2000s with the 747, and then again most recently with the 77W between 2014 and 2015 to CGK via AMS. I read somewhere on Airliners Net that the switch to LHR in 2016 did very little (if any) benefit to GA before their eventual withdrawal in 2020, and that Garuda may have possibly been better suited to LGW, possibly to DPS instead of CGK, owing to the fact that Bali has become a popular tourist hotspot and a good route for leisure traffic. There has also been the argument that the 77W was simply the wrong aircraft for GA at the time, mainly being too big. However, perhaps a smaller aircraft, such as the A330-800 or -900 would be better suited if they decided to re-enter the London market?

The other one I was thinking of is Hong Kong Airlines, who of course served LGW with their all-business class A330 in 2012. I think, pre-pandemic, they had expressed interest in potentially relaunching London with their new A350s, but the pandemic and subsequent shutdown of HKG put those plans on hold. Plus the fact that CX had already re-introduced LGW in 2016. I wonder if the HKG route will be reintroduced again from LGW?