PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 78 Sqn Chinook Crash (20 years ago)
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2023, 14:45
OKOC

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Katie Browning
My uncle David Vincent browning xx
Hi Katie,
I was on 18 Sqn with Dave Browning and he was a terrific bloke, great fun and great company. I miss him and the whole crew that died that fateful day. I had just finished my tour in The Falklands, and had air-tested that very same Chinook about a week before the crash, it still makes me think that we are all here by the grace of God.

Regarding the cause, my dim memory seems to remember (and it was widely believed by all the operators (modern speak for pilots) that it was a DASH (Differential Air Speed Hold) runaway; a very insidious causal factor and widely practiced thereafter in the sim at Aberdeen. If the runaway was not caught almost immediately it was impossible to stop it as there physically wasn't enough "back stick authority". As far as I am aware, even though we knew that sometime during the sim sortie the instructor (Dave Ryall) would introduce this snag, No-one caught it in time-the result was obvious. Please forgive my aging memory if some of my words are not absolutely text book but they are true.

RIP old friends both from MPA and the Mull.