PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepal Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2023, 12:18
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting discussion on human factors and ergonomics. Just a small reminder that the misidentification of the condition levers has not yet been proven/confirmed, we all think we know what happenned, but there is still a small posibility there is something else to it .
On the ergonomics, I have flown many aircrat types, mostly GA nowadays , and I am always amazed of the different use that a " standard" switch or lever may have depending on the type. For instance the basic push/ rotate lever/screw used on US GA aircraft for throttle is also used for mixure ( Cessnas) or even Prop pitch ( Super Dechatlon)
The most confusing example , is the gear lever on the Fouga Magister CM-170 that was my first jet trainer in the Air Force. The gear lever is a small wing shaped flat lever moving between 2 walls, excatly the same switch used on many other types of GA aircraft as the electric flaps switch.. Not really an issue if you move from that jet to a GA later , but a serious one when you do the opposite. I have not seen the report but I would bet that this was the cause of an early gear retractation during a touch a go of a civil historic CM-170 in Netherlands that led to a crash in 2013..