PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepal Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2023, 03:15
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
The knob shape is deliberate, and required for design compliance for certification. It's up to pilots to be aware of the knob shape. More importantly, its up to every pilot to "select - identify - confirm and move" any given control. Fast hands are trouble. Pause, and think about what you're doing. Last week's flight testing involved selecting and moving a specified toggle switch for the test. The wrong switch would shut the engine down instantly. Another wrong switch might cause costly damage to the engine. In each case (and reminding myself about this accident) in each case it was: " XX switch identified (as I held it), XX switch confirmed (while I thought about it) and XX switch [on/off], observing for the intended effect (which had never before been tested). It all worked out fine.

We professional pilots should be stepping up to the true responsibility of no fast hands, identify/confirm/move to prevent accidents so that bad things don't happen because of our mistake, and designers don't keep thinking of new ways to complicate systems to prevent errors which we should not be making!

Think: What do I want to happen next? What control do I have to move to make that happen? Is my hand on that control, and going to move it the correct direction? Have I confirmed that? Now, did moving the control produce the result I expected? If you're not doing that, you're not doing it right! Don't blame the airplane!