PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ferranti Helicopters
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2023, 21:46
Godwhacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denis' Daughter?

New here and very little to contribute but that, in 1970, I was working in Dubai on the construction of the Rashid Hospital. The supervising architect for the job was a chap called Tony Lodge. He was married to a girl whom we rarely saw, surprisingly, such was the claustrophobic environment in which we found ourselves. We, contractors and consultants, were all living on site although, for professional reasons, we tended not to mix socially. Lodge's wife (Jan? Sian?) was said to be a de Ferranti and to have connections to Pontoon in Co. Mayo. I remember this because my father was from Foxford, only a few miles from Pontoon. She was also said to have been, rightly or wrongly, the first female in Britain to have obtained a helicopter PPL. I believe that, years after her sojourn in Arabia, she'd been on some sort of adventure and had written a book about it - I did find it on Amazon many years ago.

I know nothing of the naturist tendencies described earlier - not likely to have been encouraged in Dubai in those days and certainly not now! Lodge never gave the impression of being the flamboyant type but you never know with these arty types!

Ring a bell with anyone?