PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Sheffield-3
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2023, 16:46
DSASPOTTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is part of the update from Nick Fletcher today.
AIRPORT CLOSURE - WEEK 36 JOINT STATEMENT This week saw the issue of the joint statement of the Mayors of Doncaster and South Yorkshire and the 3 MPs in Doncaster. CPO I called for a CPO of the airport from the outset. That was in July 2022 when the airport was first threatened with closure. I was told then and since that it was premature and that it couldn’t be done. I disagreed. I knew then as I do now that there is a great deal of preparation that has to be done before the process can start. There is no reason why that should not have been started then. It would also have signalled to Peel that we were serious. We are where we are though and sadly we can’t go back in time. The CPO process has started so we need to ensure it doesn’t falter or get delayed. PEEL’S ANNOUNCEMENT I have also written to the Mayor regarding Peel’s announcement (reported in the Yorkshire Post - 06.03.23) that they have had no contact for four months and that since then the consortium have not provided any evidence at all of their financial status which is necessary for money laundering and counter-terrorism Both Mayors have assured me that the UAE Consortium is credible and that it has made a credible offer. I have been in contact with Peel and they have stated the information they have requested with regards to any purchase of such an asset at present has not been forthcoming. It doesn’t affect the CPO though which must be driven through as quickly as possible.