PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-3
Thread: Gatwick-3
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2023, 21:13
JW95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sotonsean
Excellent news regarding Air China resuming service to LGW with the announcement coming less than 48 hours after I posed the question on this thread, "I wonder what the next long haul airline will be in announcing LGW?"

Along with the previous announcement by Saudia, I'm also very surprised by Air China retuning so soon. Obviously they are great additions to LGW but both totally unexpected considering their LHR operations.

LGW has been very fortunate to have gained so many long haul connections in such a short time frame. Congratulations to the marketing team and everyone involved in achieving this and may it continue.

I'll pose the same question again as I previously posted considering that it took less than 48 hours for the it to be answered.

"I wonder what the next long haul airline will be in announcing LGW?"
Completely second you As a frequent user and supporter of LGW, I am very happy to see the airport make strong progress in attracting new carriers to the airport, such as those you have mentioned above, as it wasn't so long ago that the airport was on its knees with the loss of so much of its long haul carrier and route portfolio during the height of the pandemic.

As for future long haul carriers coming to Gatwick, I am hopeful that Cathay will return, especially with HKG now having finally been fully re-opened and the fact that the airline's existing LHR operation will be quickly reverting to up to 5 daily on most days from April. LGW worked well for Cathay right up until it was suspended in February 2020, so I reckon there is a good chance they will come back.

Air Asia X - Already rumoured and discussed on this thread and elsewhere, with the airline reportedly interested in linking KUL with LGW via DXB.

Air Mauritius - Currently operating from LHR, although reported to be keen to move to LGW on the basis of lower airport fees, and accessibility of slots to be able to increase flight frequency to daily at LGW from the current 5 weekly LHR operation.