PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-4
Thread: Edinburgh-4
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2023, 11:14
Skipness One Foxtrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nighthawk117
Why is the fact the terminal has been extended over and over again such a problem? It's been refurbished numerous times, so it's not like parts of it still look like the 1970s.
What specificaly is wrong with the current terminal, other than it being a bit small? Further extensions would soon sort that, no need to build a whole new terminal.
The only part of the terminal that drastically needs attention is the check in area. Now that traffic is no longer permitted immediately outside the airport terminal, there is an opportunity to expand the terminal out, creating more room for check in area on the ground floor, and more room for retail facilities on the upper floor.
If you ever used LHR T1 in it's later years you'll know why add-ons are a pain.
It's an overcrowded and incoherent mess with no logical flow, long walks and way too much bussing. The South East pier can happily do all departures but international arrivals need a bus to the UK Border. The check in area is massively overcrowded in summer and is only going to get worse. The layout was never intended to push so many people through that little terminal, you would not ever clean sheet design it this way.
Take one example, will my Ryanair flight depart from Gate 1 or the furthest end of the South East pier? It's just painful in my experience. Add-ons only get you so far, there comes a point you need to think strategically and not tactically. BUT it won't happen as the ROI likely isn't there without the taxpayer stepping in.
AND before anyone leaps to defend EDI, I say this only in the hope that they can better the customer experience, not just to attack the airport....