PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leading Edge LEAP+FI, & TUI UK Pilot Cadet Programmes
Old 16th Mar 2023, 11:00
SoftwareDev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lauda
hey softwareDev, similar to my reply above… seeing as you had the dual medical done I was just wondering if this was any more expensive than having the CAA class 1 initial medical done on its own?

considering getting the dual done given how expensive the initial medical is. But if it’s more expensive I’ll probably opt for just the CAA given I’m a UK citizen and have no plans of moving.
it’s just a shame on potentially losing out on the option of Ryanair being such a big recruiter here!
Hey, it was around £950 for both so works out £300ish extra. Birmingham Aeromedical has prices on their site. Still much cheaper than getting both separately in the UK. You could get the CAA initial here and then go somewhere on the continent for an EASA initial which will be be cheaper than getting it done here.
Keep in mind though, both medicals only have value if you do both sets of ATPLs and get both EASA and CAA CPL ME/IR. So it's not just the cost of the second Class 1, but you'll be paying for two sets of ATPL sittings and then the hassle of getting the joint EASA/CAA CPL. It requires an instructor and examier who can do both, and the EASA IR requires some hours in EASA airspace, so a quick flight over to France or Ireland. Could easily be an extra few thousand onto training costs for both and that's hard to justify. I went for it because I have both UK and EU passports. Once you have them you have to keep currency for both!

AND you'll need to renew both medicals every year which will be £300-£400ish.

If you can pass a CAA Class 1 initial then you'll pass an EASA Class 1 initial. If you don't have an EU passport the EASA licence has limited value for now, hopefully things will change in the future. My advice would be to get the CAA Class 1 then do your PPL and get started on hour building, then make a decision on whether or not to sit both sets of ATPLs and if you do, go get an EASA Class 1 in Poland.

Modular is getting expensive now in the UK. For just the CAA CPL fATPL you're looking at £65k minimum if you account for exam fees, landing fees, licence fees and equipment. Bad enough without trying to chuck an EASA licence on top.