PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA air museums to visit
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2023, 20:19
longer ron

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by sandiego89
Finally we have all recommended things all over the USA, and many visitors, especially from Europe, fail to appreciate how big the place is ("what do mean we are still in Texas, we have been driving for 10 hours!?) Some of these could take you a whole day or more to drive between. I might recommend an Eastern Focus and maybe a jaunt to California, but you can't do it all in 2 weeks on a budget. Enjoy.
Which is why I posted in post #44 that we did our museum visits by region.

Another possible factor is weather and wild fires - On our West coast holiday we were quite affected by forest fires,up at Hood River,Or - it was when the teenager caused huge fire was still burning - this seriously curtailed the fly in at WAAAM - we were extremely lucky that the museum decided to fly their (very original) Jenny,at Sugarpine there had been a large forest fire just days before and whilst we had a good look round there were no choo choos running.
On our East Coast trip we were dogged by (or rather luckily avoiding) some really nasty weather.

Our Stearman flight came up in an interesting way - there was a good looking chap at Reading (Airshow and re enactors) dressed as a private in a particular british uniform,my GF said to him ''that was my Dad's Regiment'' - we got chatting and were invited to the family tent on the flight line - the family tent was a large Army Tent and at that point we had no idea this chap had anything to do with aviation.The upshot being we were invited down to WV for a flight in his stearman,he would not take a penny for this,flew both of us and they were a truly delightful family.It meant we had to reorganise our last few days and missed an airshow but it was a unique opportunity.