PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Practice PANs on 'Guard'
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2023, 16:00
meleagertoo

Received 156 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by albatross
Please forgive a stupid question:
Since radio frequencies are to be used only for Air to Ground and Ground to Air Purposes only.
If I hear a Mayday or Pan call from another aircraft while I am airborne does this mean I can not respond to it?
If I am intercepted and Ace McCool in his pointy fighter is threatening to turn me into falling debris on 121.500 I can not respond to his calls? Is he not in violation of the same regulations? I assume as he is military he is not limited to solely A>G and G>A comms otherwise he could not berate his long-suffering
Those are indeed extraordinary questions, or they would be if I didn't think you were being a wind-up.
Listed in order if silliness...
1)You kow full well that military are not subject to the came rules that civvies are.
2)You also know full well that 'nothing in the regulations should prevent whatever action deemed necessary being taken in the event of an emergency' or words to that effect.
3) The fact remains that ALL aviation frequencies including 123.45 are for stated purposes. While some are for glider comms or dedicated to fire and rescue services or company comms (also not supposed to be used for air to air...) all Air Traffic frequencies are designated air to ground and vv. Thus it is abundantly clear to all but the most obtuse that they are NOT for air to air or ground to ground use and may not be used as such.