PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2023, 02:34
grant.lebronte

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Alot of debt

Hey, I'm a new joiner that would like to ask for some advice on jobs and whether anyone else is in my situation on the level of VET debt they have.
Three years ago, I finished the CPL, Instrument Rating, and Instructor Rating (well Instructor Rating was a recent achievement), almost all on VET debt. I also applied for a small loan for some of this training. The total cost of everything from 0 hours to full graduate is $161,000 (AUD).
I'm also 42 years old and made the switch from Call Centre to becoming a Professional Pilot around 39. I am now struggling to get a mortgage because the banks loan against the VET debt (which I didn't know until it was too late).
Before the Instructor Rating, I also drove to Broome and across to Katherine and remained in Katherine for 6 months post-CPL until I got broken into & decided to leave and do the Instructor Rating down south again. Thanks to the helpful advice here, I went "north" but was not successful in a job but didn't like the crime wave moving from Alice Springs (it's worse now apparently).
It is just me but are others struggling to get a Grade 3 job or any type of entry-level flying job? I spoke to a CP on the Gold Coast over the phone who had over 30 applications for a recent Grade 3 position. Unfortunately, I was lured into flight training at my midlife thinking I'd have no problems getting a job at the end, while spending the rest of my life paying off the debt. I've now gone back to my original Call Centre position in the south and not sure on the next move.

Grant

P.s. Thank you everyone for the 'go north' advice. It didn't pay off for me but the experience of the wet season (from the ground), Kakadu, and drive in general is really great.