PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF refuelling at Melbourne from an A380????
Old 13th Mar 2023, 23:08
Tom Sawyer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aeromech3
Seams to me that there are at least a couple of posters whom have never been on the platform of a fueler or an Engineering scissor lift.
Fueler: platform at rear, remote from power source, has a remote dead man switching system, has step access at all raised heights, has fire extinguisher on board.
Scissor lift: drive system below platform, short step access only when retracted, emergency stop buttons, limited foot print stability.
There are no doubt more points, but I just wanted to share in brief my own experience and knowledge.
As an Engineer I can confirm that I have much experience of both platforms, and I don't think your points make any real differrence. I also work on the A380, and to access (on the ramp) some of the outboard fuel tank access panels, fuel feed pipework and engine etc, manual steps aren't in general feasible due to the height above ground, so MEWPs are used.
Some of your other points;
Drive train position - during a fuel spill, the liquid could go anywhere in the local area. Most MEWPs the motor (diesel or electric) is covered as well. Remember BA 777 in Denver? Fuel truck caught fire when hose ruptured. Re/Defueling is hazardous.
Deadmans handle - irrelevant during this operation. You use the aircraft pumps direct into the transfer hose via the wing refuel point, connected to the other aircraft. Fuel truck pumps/hoses etc not used.
Fire Extinguisher - can go and get a mobile one.
Footprint stability - operate IAW manufacturers instructions as usual.
Step access point when raised - irrelevant. No need to stay at the hose connection point during fuel transfer.

If anything MEWP platforms also have a greater working platform area so allowing easier movement. Also, trying to drag hoses up a mobile steps requires 2 hands, so you are not maintaining 3 points of contact. Lifting the hoses with a MEWP is viable and safer.