PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Strategic Defence Review 2020 - get your bids in now ladies & gents
Old 13th Mar 2023, 20:38
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by pr00ne
Don't you tell me to take it easy! Who the hell do you think you are, the Chairman of the BBC?

Your description of the 1957 white paper is an exercise in sheer reductionism and generalisations, the Army and the RN took equally large cuts in the white paper and many of the planned RAF cuts never actually happened, apart from the overnight disbandment of a large percentage of the RAFG Hunter and Venom force. The Mark one Bloodhound force was deployed in the late 50's and withdrawal began in 1963 at the same time as the Thor force was withdrawn. The reason for the cuts in RAFG and Fighter Command were actually recommended by the Air Staff who saw the complete futility of the manned fighter against the ICBM, don't forget this was before the era of flexible response, the main threat was a missile threat, and against that we had NO defence at all, so 20 to 30 odd fighter squadrons were a waste of money. And please leave Corbyn out of this! He is an irrelevance and not even a member of the Labour Party! He didn't get into power, he never even came close, and all you do is demean your position if that is all you can argue with. The Tories have been a disaster without precedent for defence over the last 13 years, dogma driven idiots who hate public expenditure and public services.
Take it easy pr00ne, you'll set fire to your Horse Hair Wig dear chap. Just because I didn't give a more detailed description of the impact of the defence white paper of 1957, as it affected the Navy and the Army doesn't mean I'm conveniently scrubbing round the point, merely trying to keep my posts short. Indeed, I'm currently writing about that very subject. Mr Corbyn is entirely relevant because he could have become the Prime Minister. Sir Keir Starmer also has some baggage regarding the issue of Foreign and Defence Policy., he opposed military action against Isis. Look Mr, the fairest thing to say is that no matter who you vote for, the Government always get in. I'm certainly not making the case for the Tories on defence, they've certainly not built a better track record overall than Labour Governments. But their party has never had to keep a lid on absolute bone headed radical progressives and Marxists. You'll recall the 1977 paperback "Sense about Defence" by Ian Mikardo MP, it was thrown out by the Labour government of the day, but it demonstrated how close Labour are to being led into government by such people. They've so far been led in opposition by a handful, Michael Foot, and I'm sorry to mention him again, Jeremy Corbyn and for good measure, Neil Kinnock. Now if you really want to get your hackles up, can you remember what proposals for defence were made by George Lansbury, when he was the national Labour party leader, back in 1933-35?

FB