PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Student's Union
Thread: Student's Union
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2004, 15:57
BEagle

Received 333 Likes on 116 Posts
Yes, this problem often occurred at some student union freshers' fayres... They allow the freshers to be influenced by dubious political groups, but when it comes to the Armed Forces, ooh no, can't have that

I was recruiting at one London student union once with the aid of a couple of our more amusing students (this was before Pink Wednesday). After putting up with frosty glares from the Gay and Lesbian society for an hour or so, I got a bit fed up. So I said to one of the lads "OK, your task for today is to achieve a conversion". He spent the next hour or so attempting to make a very attractive young thing understand that she would have a far more interesting time with him than with her 'sisters' - I believe a DCO followed later!

If we received a refusal from any of the unions, I'd just thank them politely and advise them that they would be added to the central database of organisations which were known to suppress freedom of the individual.......

And before any one accuses me of being prejudiced, personally I didn't notice any significant changes to military life post the change on the ban on homosexuality. Even though the thought of what they do with eachother might make most of us shudder, if it meant that a few folk no longer lived in fear, then so much the better.

We used to be required to ask the prospective new students what their attitude was to homosexuality. Some responses would have made the Gestapo blush, but most were fairly non-committal. One lad replied "It's OK if it's kept discreet". When asked what he meant , he elaborated "What they get up to behind closed doors is their own matter; I just don't like having it rammed down my throat!" A somewhat unfortunate turn of phrase, so we moved on rapidly to other questions!