PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life expectancy among Pilots/cabin crew
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2023, 12:26
Right20deg

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by nnc0
Working as a non pilot in Flight Ops I can simply offer that I've seen a heck of a lot more office staff die before retirement than pilots. There numbers are not even close and pilots outnumber engineers and technicians in Flight ops by 10 to 1. The daily toll of commuting and the long hours of sedentary work in front of a screen with a good deal of job stress heaped on takes a terrible toll on people's health. I haven't even got 25 yrs in and the 4 other engineers that stared with me have all passed away.
That is very sad news and good that you mentioned this issue. Also, I had heard that long service commission Navy personnel , on retirement back on shore have a very bad time of it. The stress of living in civi street after a lifetime of order and discipline at sea is too much.
On visiting the London Air Traffic Control Centre, Swanwick, Southampton, I had a wander around the lake and a memorial garden and seating for the young ATC Officers who died way before their time. High stress jobs take their toll for certain. Family in the big accountancy firms notice that high end burn out is the norm. HK never sleeps. Retirement in your fifties helps they said.