PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Return to flying after 5 years. Advice?
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2023, 11:15
Joe R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Return to flying after 5 years. Advice?

Hi,

I quit flying few years ago (pre COVID) and worked in consulting, then in tech. Posted my story here * intended as advice for COVID-affected fellow pilots. I feel now the time has come for me to return to flying. Do you have any advice for me on how I can build my return path such that the paycheck reduction and lifestyle impact stays as intermediate and as little as possible? Here is my situation:
  • 3600 hours, mostly A320 family and A340
  • 200ish hours as A320 PIC (I left flying as a young captain)
  • Kept my A320 PIC Type Rating alive over the non-flying years
  • Turning 40 soon
  • Selected positive for LX and EW a few years ago, these selection are still valid, maybe I could use them somewhere
  • Based 15 mins from a major hub in Europe. I could imagine commuting rosters like 14/14 or 20/10 but nothing crazy like 21/7 in Asia
  • My wife is flying at our hub's legacy carrier. So this binds us somewhat to the EU region (although she could do part time and commute but wouldn't be happy)
So what I am looking for is some inspiration / advice / even specific tips on how I could build the return path: across the spectrum of "join as FO at a respectable carrier and wait for 10+ years" or "join a smaller company with prospects to enter as or become captain soon".

Honest question - I would highly appreciate kind and sincere answers.

* terms-endearment/632038-working-life-after-flying-13.html#post10897207