PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF 380 popping slide in LA
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2023, 09:49
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt Fathom
If there is a problem with the door, ‘re-opening’ from the inside could or will end in tears!

Often Flight Attendants just don’t use sufficient force when arming the door. Disarming then re-arming firmly will generally fix the issue. If not, hand the problem to the engineers.

Not sure where ‘jiggling’ came from? New media buzz word.
Jiggling was probably made up by the Daily Mail, which has to be one of the most low-rate gossip rags out there, even worse than Murdoch (wait, is it owned by Murdoch??).
I think they made jiggling up. Love the queue of Qantas haters in the comments "just as well she didn't jiggle it in the air" demonstrating their utter lack of knowledge of aviation. Also love the "causing it to inflate all the way down to the ground" Well, yeh, that's the general idea.
We all know this has happened before, it won't be the last time. Back in the old days we used to open the 747 doors from the outside. For two good reasons. 1/ We can see if the Girt Bar had failed to disengage in which situation we would give the CC the thumbs down and call an Engineer. 2/ Even if the door is armed, when opened from the outside there is a mechanism that automatically disarms it (or should) but ONLY when opened from the outside.
It always used to amaze me how many carriers insisted on opening 747 doors from the inside at an aerobridge. Whenever in the vicinity, I'd wait at the end of the a/bridge. Not too trusting of some of the other airlines, like CAAC swinging the door open while engines still running and no stairs in position on arrival at a stand-off bay.
I believe KLM had this open from inside procedure and actually deployed a slide in an aerobridge at YSSY many years ago, seriously injuring at least one ground employee.