PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 11th Mar 2023, 03:12
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BFSGrad
I don’t think the LC’s plan included a plan B. In another profession, we called this a “success-oriented plan.” I assume the LC’s mindset went something like this: I’ve got FDX at 3 miles and SWA is ready. I can meet my 2 mi increasing to 3 mi rule as long as I get SWA rolling in the next 30 seconds. How hard can that be? SWA should show up on my radar repeater within the next minute and life is good.

Note that in this plan, the LC has no way of establishing when SWA commences its takeoff roll. Then consider the following note from 7110.65, 5-8-4 (the 2 increasing to 3 rule):

NOTE−

1. This procedure permits a departing aircraft to be released so long as an arriving aircraft is no closer than 2 miles from the runway at the time. This separation is determined at the time the departing aircraft commences takeoff roll.

2. Consider the effect surface conditions, such as ice, snow, and other precipitation, may have on known aircraft performance characteristics, and the influence these conditions may have on the pilot’s ability to commence takeoff roll in a timely manner.
Originally Posted by hans brinker

Order JO 7110.65Z - Air Traffic Control

7110.65 Chapter 3. Airport Traffic Control - Terminal Section 7. Taxi and Ground Movement Procedures 3-7-5. PRECISION APPROACH CRITICAL AREA

a. ILS critical area dimensions are described in FAAO 6750.16, Siting Criteria for Instrument Landing Systems. Aircraft and vehicle access to the ILS/MLS critical area must be controlled to ensure the integrity of ILS/MLS course signals whenever conditions are less than reported ceiling 800 feet or visibility less than 2 miles. Do not authorize vehicles/aircraft to operate in or over the critical area, except as specified in subpara 
a1, whenever an arriving aircraft is inside the ILS outer marker (OM) or the fix used in lieu of the OM unless the arriving aircraft has reported the runway in sight or is circling to land on another runway.
Nope. SWA should have been well past the DER (LLZ antenna) before FDX got to 3.3NM (OM equivalent in KAUS 18L) on final.