PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scampton anyone?
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2023, 23:27
pug

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by nighthawk117
While the initial article regarding "Linconshire International Airport" was an april fool, the rest of the plans are legit, and Horizon Park do have genuine plans to turn the site in to an aviation museum and business park. More info here:

https://horizon-park.co.uk/
I think that’s different to the plans by Scampton Holdings who are the preferred partners by WLDC.

https://www.aerosociety.com/news/exc...x4LqUGmBj4PRsw

They do seem to have the right people and ambition to be sympathetic to the sites aviation heritage. I do have a couple of questions though;

1. How would they be able to justify keeping a an airfield of that size licensed and fully operational? They do mention the possibility of an operator and FBO moving in from a local airport, I took that to mean either 2Excel or DEA, but find it hard to imagine that they would cover the costs of such a large airfield.

2. They intend on keeping the R313 airspace to allow the Reds to continue practicing over Scampton. I believe in their peak they will do 3-4 practice sorties per day. Given that they do not mix well with your average puddle jumper, that is a lot of time during daylight hours that would preclude the use of the airfield for anything other than the Reds. A lot of lost revenue.

Their plans for the camp are ambitious, but perhaps a bit too much so for such a sparsely populated region such as Lincolnshire. Talk of hotels to support the Lincolnshire show ground, which driving past it frequently as I do is usually empty.

I do hope they can pull this off, I’m sure they have considered all of the above points and more, and they do appear to have the credentials. Does seem like they are still awaiting financial backing - I guess it will rest on gaining that, that and the site not being turned over to the Home Office as is supposedly in motion currently.

Good luck to them.