PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Portland (KPDX) aka Austin 2.0
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2023, 16:39
DIBO

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BFSGrad
Originally Posted by Concours77
So did 2992 ever find out why he had to abort? Seemed close enough for tower to change things around... "UPS2974 asked for but did not receive explanation for UPS2992 departure delay..." When screwing up, better not to answer incriminating questions ?
2992 should have heard the ATC go-around instruction to 2974 immediately after the ATC abort takeoff instruction leaving little doubt as to the reason for the canceled takeoff clearance.
2992 indeed would have heard the ATC go-around instruction to 2974, and even before that, the abort instruction to 2992 included "traffic is going around over the top of you";

EDIT: didn't realize video & audio were not in sync / the following is not relevant anymore
So I think that "did 2992 ever find out why its T/O clearance was delayed" is a more to the point question, which at the same time would answer 2974's question.
ATC : 72 seconds between issuing the line-up clearance and the T/O clearance (while mentioning the 2nm final traffic, ATC did not use the 'Immediate T/O' in his clearance)
2992: 18 seconds between receiving T/O clearance and start of T/O roll

When this event (as in 'not an incident') first came up, I thought, similar to Austin, that it was the departing a/c taking (too) much time to depart°. Seeing this clip, I've changed my mind.... so I wonder who it really was who needed to answer 2974's question...

°: not pointing fingers; in Austin, the departing traffic taking its time was only a contributory factor in the whole incident (pending the final NTSB report )

Last edited by DIBO; 10th Mar 2023 at 20:29.