PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brakes Off? What's it all about?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2004, 05:48
Big Pistons Forever

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts
Cypher

Your checklist is short, to the point , and meets the unique needs of your operation, sounds like good airmanship to
me. Although I always thought the objective of every splatter
enabler was to get the #@^%$#^&$ jumpers gone as fast as possible, hence wouldn't be it be better to leave the brake off

Snigs

If the student whips the mixture back instead of the carb heat , I don't think you will need to wait for the pre-landing checklist to find out . The Last time a student did that to me I screamed
" OH MY GOD WE ARE GOING TO DIE , GET THE ENGINE GOING, GET THE ENGINE GOING !!! " To his credit he did the engine failure checklist, figured out what he did , got everything thing squared away and said. "That was mean you freaked out to get me rattled". I replied "thats right you were rattled but you still remembered to do the drills and fixed the problem". He learned two big lessons.
1. Think before you push/pull/turn anything in the cockpit
2. The importance of having the emergencies drills down cold, because when bad things happen your brain initially freezes solid, Having the drills to give you a place to start is a big help to get the thinking process working.

I guess it was a bit mean but the the expression on his face was priceless