PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of separation between A330 VH-EBK & 787 G-ZBKF near Sydney 28 Sept 2022
Old 7th Mar 2023, 00:35
helispotter

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Loss of separation between A330 VH-EBK & 787 G-ZBKF near Sydney 28 Sept 2022

I couldn't find this Loss of Separation incident reported elsewhere on PPRuNe, hence started this thread. I can delete again if advised it is discussed elsewhere.

Became aware of the incident via Australian Aviation on-line article:

British Airways 787 and Qantas A330 fly too close – Australian Aviation

The recently released ATSB final report can be found at:

Loss of separation involving Airbus A330, VH-EBK, and Boeing 787, G-ZBKF near Sydney Airport, New South Wales on 28 September 2022 | ATSB

While I haven't read the actual report, Adam Thorn appears to provide a good summary of it in his article. The worry is what he wrote at the end of his article:
The ATSB final report notes that, in the last decade in Australia, there has been eight loss of separation occurrences involving aircraft cleared on a SID, where a following aircraft has climbed faster than the preceding aircraft.... Of these, six were at Sydney, and five involved the DEENA 7 SID.
“Airservices Australia has advised the DEENA 7 SID has been redesigned to remove the two conditional requirements of the procedure,” Macleod said.
“The changes are planned to be part of the first implementation package for Western Sydney International Airport, but as the timeframe for this implementation is unknown, the ATSB will continue to actively monitor this open safety issue.”
So why would a departure process be re-designed (presumably in light of safety issues having been identified) but seemingly then not introduced swiftly? I would hate to think ASTB now needs to 'actively monitor' this issue until there is an actual collision rather than 'only' the loss of separation between aircraft (already 6 of them for this particular departure route)!