PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 6th Mar 2023, 20:45
GarageYears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read this thread, first post to last, along with the various others that collectively cover (and with no intent to assess blame and subject to investigative outcome):
- ATC error(s)
- Loss of situational awareness
- Runway incursion
- ATC initiated T/O clearance cancelled
- ATC initiated go-around
Without being unkind, all of these are either not trained at all, or if you are generous trained at the simplest level possible

I have worked in the flight training industry for 34 years, and for the past 19 years have been involved in developing a flight simulator capability known as SATCE - which stands for "Simulated ATC Environment". ALL of the scenarios that are represented in the Austin incident (per this thread) and the others (JFK runway incursion, Logan unauthorized take-off, Honolulu runway incursion...etc) can be trained with high fidelity using SATCE, in any class of flight simulator, from the simplest FTD to Level D FSS. SATCE off-loads the instructor from role-playing ATC and simulates both all ATC frequencies and other traffic aircraft interacting with ATC (and can cause both ATC errors and other traffic conflicts).

Can I ask has ANYONE reading this even heard of SATCE? Yes, I know you won't have it installed on your simulators (yet), because the system I am involved with is the industry leader, and to date, we have delivered just over 100 systems, many to the US military/services.

I am frustrated, as I feel, we, as an industry, are one bad radio call or decision away from a very bad accident, and it doesn't have to be this way - more and better training using NEW capabilities can mitigate the likelihood this sort of incident would develop to the point it becomes an incident.