PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R Areas - Shoalwater Bay
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2023, 02:12
Lead Balloon

Received 443 Likes on 224 Posts
The latest episode in The Keystone Cops Do Airspace series is outlined in AIC H08/23. As usual, the bureaucracy has created a web of band-aides that traps Australian aircraft but not foreign aircraft.

Apparently there have been “delays to the making of amendments to the Airspace Regulations 2007”. I’m guessing those amendments are intended to give OAR power to declare PRDs inside and outside of Australian territory but, to the extent that the determinations cover territory outside Australian airspace, will be binding only on Australian aircraft. I’m guessing that, in drafting the amendments, someone’s gone to AGD’s and there’s been some WTFs - expressed in euphemistic terms of course. I’m guessing that the WTFs would at least have been triggered by the patent illogicality of the suggestion that the continuation of these currently-unlawful declarations are necessary “to maintain an appropriate level of aviation safety in the relevant airspace” - the word “appropriate” being a meaningless modifier - when, in fact, foreign aircraft are allowed into the airspace. It is, after all, international airspace.

It’s not “appropriately” safe if Australian aircraft operate in the airspace without approval but it is “appropriately” safe if foreign aircraft operate in the airspace without approval. You know it makes sense.

Imagine how much counselling will be necessary when the Chinese disturb the controlled isolation in which our Air Force has become accustomed to train, when the Chinese exercise their freedom of navigation through international airspace covered by Australian PRD declarations. And the Chinese won’t have to worry about Australian civilian aircraft, because Australia will have them under control.

We’re a laughing stock.