PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Argentina withdraws from Falklands agreement.
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 21:03
Baldeep Inminj

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I suspect that this is entirely for the domestic consumption of the Argentine population, and will become tomorrows fish wrapper. In any event, here a few thoughts...
Reasons that Nations want stability in the FI:
- Several nations (certainly S Korea when I was at MPA in the 90's) pay the Falklands Island Governement (Called FICO when I was there, not sure if it still is?), millions per year for the right to fish the Falklands waters, particularly for Squid. They will not want this trade disrupted.
- The Falklands is potentially an oil rich area. When I was there we met many 'oil people' who basically told us that all of the science indicated that there was a ton of oil there, but they were having trouble finding it. Did they?
- There is now a lucrative tourism/cruise liner industry there and the Falklanders don't want this jeopardized.

Other points:
- It is a British Overseas Territory, so people born there are automatically UK citizens. Question: Does this mean NATO Article 5 would apply if Argentina attacked?
-
Whilst I weep at the pathetic shell of it's former self that the UK Military has become, I am pretty confident it is more than a match for whatever inept and ill equipped task force the Argentinians could muster. This then begs the obvious question - would they have allies prepared to provide forces? I don't know the answer to that...but who, and for what purpose?

I was based in Cyprus many years ago, and had the absolute pleasure of working and flying with the UN peacekeeping detachment out of UNPA Nicosia. The nation providing the service was Argentina. I (and my crew!) spent considerable time with the Argentinian pilots (MD500 - think 'Magnum PI' for those of a certain age). We flew, planned, operated and also socialized with them many times and I bet you can guess what I will say next...they were simply superb guys., every one of them. They were aircrew mates in the truest sense - friendly, helpful and genuine. Trust me, they had nothing against us whatsoever, it is their corrupt and failing Government that is the issue.

I have not met many Argentinians, but those that I did were as nice as any people I have ever encountered. As an aside, as I have mentioned before, my wife is Russian and I can say exactly the same about them. Beautiful people - demonically evil leaders.

The following 2 users liked this post by Baldeep Inminj: