PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 2nd Mar 2023, 19:00
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chiefttp

There is much that could be said about "woke" orthodoxies - almost none of it favorable, in my view.

But rather than delve into those issues, since you've mentioned Administrator (Acting) Billy Nolen, I watched most of his recent testimony before the Senate Commerce Committee, in the hearing ostensibly devoted to the NOTAMs system outage. If I recall accurately, it was Ohio Senator Vance who asked Mr. Nolen to comment on various woke-inspired phraseological preferences (or mandates) and training program content used by FAA. It was clever, because as Acting Administrator, Mr. Nolen couldn't very well diverge from his agency's official pronouncement or publications. And he also made one valid (imo) point about the future - if FAA wants to continue to attract and retain highly talented people, it needs to set aside biases that have nothing to do with actual qualifications and capabilities to perform consistently at high levels. That of course is not what woke orthodoxies want - instead they're so reminiscient of "quotas" when "affirmative action" first came upon the employment law and policy scene decades ago.

But a sense of humor gets people, and maybe countries, through a lot of situations better than constant arguments. Senator Vance asked whether Mr. Nolen agreed with what the Senator claimed was an FAA publication discouraging the use of the term. . . . "wife". His wedding band quite visible as he allowed a discrete, slight smile to cross his face, Mr. Nolen stated that he would have to think about that one. And I think the deftness shown in his response almost by itself earns him the promotion to full-authority Administrator!