PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2023, 09:06
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by WE Branch Fanatic
The BBC are currently showing a six part documentary based aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth during the CSG21 deployment - which included the embarkation of USMC jets as well as the RN/RAF ones. Like all naval documentaries it has included things such as people working in the galley, the watchkeepers on the bridge, firefighting and first aid training, close range gunnery, and sailors having to deal with gash.

Like many documentaries I have seen about US Navy carriers, it has included aircraft launches and recoveries, the aircraft being marshalled on deck, and replenishment at sea - the nuclear powered carriers still need supplying with aviation fuel, weapons, and provisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXg9QSdf79k&t=3s

The second episode was shown on BBC2 on Sunday 29 January, and featured things such as F-35B Lightnings being launched on missions against terrorists in Syria and into the Black Sea, jets being launched in response to approaching Russian aircraft under the control of one of the destroyers, and Merlins being launched for surface search and for ASW - presumably cued by one of the frigates. The talk (by the Strike Group staff types) was of 'protecting the force', as opposed to the over simplified 'protecting the carrier'.

The fourth episode (Sunday 12 February) featured ASW.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DQ4wZ2wG...SIkaIECMiOmarEThe detection of a possible submarine by HMS Richmond and the use of sonobuoys by the Merlin reminds me of comment by a former USN aviator that a surface warship going active on sonar (particularly LFAS) gives the game away to the submarine looking for the task group. Whilst going active with your towed array allows you to cue the ASW helicopter with dipping sonar, passive detection means a larger search area, so dipping sonar is less useful.
The unique selling point of the ASW helicopter is dipping sonar - and I remember the old and bold PWO(U) explaining that the 2087 sonar fitted to the ASW frigate and the Merlin's dipping sonar are meant to work together. He also said that to protect a force/task group (yes this is where the phrase 'task group ASW' was muttered) you use a carrier and multiple helicopters.

Here is a video from Thales entitled Combined Sonar 2087 - Merlin ASW Operations:

I only found this the other night - I had been looking for ages.

Technology has moved on since the days of the Cold War, and sonars are more sensitive and longer ranged than before, having benefited from advances in things like digital signal processing. Modern sonars can achieve detection ranges far beyond ones in the 1980s, with the resulting employment of ASW helicopters being more effective.

Originally posted on another website on the thread about the role of the carrier in sea control.