PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B, ADS-C from the ATC point of view
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2023, 01:43
ABUSMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ADS-B, ADS-C from the ATC point of view

Hi all,
As an airline pilot, I only know things by reading the FCOM and picture it with my own imagination when it is not related to the aircraft.
Sometimes it is like the blind drawing an elephant by touching a part of its huge figure, then the picture comes out blurry.
It is about ADS-B and ADS-C.

The things that I 'think' I know
1. ADS-B uses XPNDR while C uses ATSU ( i.e. FMS via HF, VHF, or SATCOM)
2. ADS-B needs a special receiver to see the aircraft while C needs link to ATS service provider who provides data received from thier own antennas(HF, VHF or SAT)

The things that I don't know
1. How it is displayed on their screens. Are they use different screens for B and C?
2. For ADS-B, it sends aircraft information like selected ALT, HDG, SPD according to FCOM. Are they really able to see those to monitor how pilots are complying their instruction? If that is true, how it is displayed the MANAGED Value (i.e. dashed value on Airbus FCU)
3. Does a waypoint name matter on the FMS? ADS-C sends data from the FMS with other data. Let's take a random route with half degree coordinate for example. The name of the waypoints on the FMS are normally 5 digit and there's universal agreement how to code the LAT/LONG coordinates into 5 digit. However when the half degree is on the Latitude, there's no such an agreement as far as I know. In this case, can I simply name it any 5 digit or just leave it to FMS default value which is 7 digit without a hint of half degree coordinate (i.e. when insert N0500.0/W13330.0, FMS names it 05N133W).

I hope someone could kindly explain. Thank you in advance.

Cheers

Last edited by ABUSMAN; 6th Mar 2023 at 08:57.