PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VTOL question
Thread: VTOL question
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2023, 20:27
Baldeep Inminj

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by pasta
Which got me thinking... Do these things have an autorotation capability?
No, they do not. They have fixed pitch props/rotors/fans and vary RPM to change thrust. If there is a total power failure then a ballistically fired parachute is the only way down, and you land where you land - the pilot does not get a say if it comes to this, as he will have just become a passenger.

And to the point of 'fit professionals whisking off to meetings' - it is absolutely valid. It appears likely that everyone will be required to provide their weight and dimensions before booking a flight - and no, I am not joking (is it even legal to ask that information in most Western countries?). EVTOLS will be extremely weight sensitive, so a couple of my 400lb North American colleagues (and we have a lot of them) might render the machine unable to fly. Imagine being the pilot telling a drunk 400lb Texas cowboy that he is too fat to get in...no thanks.

The idea of electric air vehicles whisking people across cities, cleanly and quickly, is a great one, but as with all things, the Devil is in the details. And there are a lot of details.