PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 1st Mar 2023, 08:33
Downwind.Maddl-Land

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chiefttp
“IMO it’s a total brain fart by Tower.”
And this is what this whole incident will boil down to, “What the Heck was Tower thinking?”
Is there an echo in here? (Post 323)! 🤣🤣

Which suggests to me that that we've been all the way around this buoy (however you pronounce it!) and it's time to await the results of the analysis of this incident; lets hope it's not too long in gestation. Dobbin in his stable is looking closely at that door flappin' in the breeze.

Edit: in response to the comment of about how would this incident have been prevented in Europe, I offer the following, based on UK practise: When an aircraft is given clearance to land or take off, that 'tally' (again, for want of a better word) be it flight strip, pin, or whatever electronic wizardry is used nowadays, is placed in a 'runway occupied' slot that can only be allocated to 1 tally. Having given the Fed Ex 'clearance to land', Twr would would have had an immediate reminder that the runway was already committed when SW called for departure that should, at least, suggest 'time for reflection'. I still maintain that the practise of clearing multiple aircraft to land is a fundamental 'fail hard'.

Last edited by Downwind.Maddl-Land; 3rd Mar 2023 at 13:16.