PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF officer found guilty of fraudulently claiming £83,000 in school fees.
Old 1st Mar 2023, 06:09
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by langleybaston
It's all about different budgets with different managers I think.

MoD civilians in my time had a great time [not] with detachments because "Travel and Subsistence" had nothing to do with financial matters such as overtime [for juniors], long hours gratuity and shift/ weekend/PH allowances.
This in an era when many juniors had to rely on public transport, and many had no telephone. To ask an off-duty observer to turn out at no notice to cover a night shift for a sick colleague, pedalling 10 miles on a sh1tty night, and no recompense, was iniquitous. And yet I never knew of a failure to cover a shortfall. I wonder if today's youngsters would stand for it. In a way, I hope not.
There some grave injustices which simply invited dishonesty, with the inevitable consequences.
Exactly LB. The nadir was when IPTs were resurrected in 1999. IPT leaders now had their own T&S budget, and routinely blew it in a couple of months by sending the world and his dog to minor meetings, on overnighters. When it ran out, the chair was told to cancel the meetings, even if they were (e.g.) Critical Design Reviews. Just sign the cheque and say the work is done and satisfactory. Finding themselves in a tricky legal position, the chairman would usually go himself but would have his T&S claim turned down. As he couldn't afford a hotel, it was often a 150 mile drive each way, days on end, for 0800-1800 days. AbbeyWood to Crawley is the one that comes readily to mind. As you rightly say, the financial pressure this caused on the family invited dishonesty, although I know of very few who succumbed. The saving grace was the company would feed and water you, and very often your opposite number there would put you up. (And in one case, have Kwik Fit get your car in order under their contract with them!) But then you'd be accused of....