PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alcohol and Flying: The New Law
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2004, 23:40
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new reality... Don't shoot the messenger!

I find this very interesting for a presentation of an new approach to enforcement. It seems to have upset some people who might not want to change their habits but FL seems to be just reporting the new reality, not trying to spoil anyone's fun.

It would seem that none of the authorities are going to bother measuring impairment but just to check for the presence of various other drugs at all and alcohol in very small quantities. That would seem to mean an end to the usual practice of unwinding with a drink or two on a night-stop. Too bad, but there it is.

Lots of us end up alcohol-dependent without being particularly aware of this fact. Hell, I used to quit drinking every night! Unless it was Christmas or something, when the p*ss-ups could continue unabated for days. The only thing that brings dependency to the fore in a culture like aviation's is being forced to go without, in my experience.

There's a new twist to the tale if you work on certain contracts: you may not just be tested for forbidden drugs but also be tested for the required presence of anti-malaria drugs! How about that one? You can forget all this stuff about civil rights, too. By taking the contract you give implicit consent to being tested.