PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire Ace - TV
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2004, 22:46
FNG
Not so N, but still FG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I caught only the last twenty minutes, but that included enough interesting footage and interviews to persuade me to get in earlier next Monday evening, although I agree that there could have been more discussion/illustration of the aircraft's handling qualities from a pilot's point of view.

Note the usual passing reference: "oh, and there were some Hurricanes about as well". It's understandable that programs such as this present the traditional simplified version of the Battle as the victory of daring underdogs against fearful odds (including all those 110s referred to at one point, without mentioning that they were rubbish). Of course the Battle was all that, but also a victory of planning, organisation, leadership, technology and production (none of these factors in any way belittlling the achievements of the pilots) and the full story is no less interesting or stirring than the short version.

Most reality shows seem to look for punters whose main quality is an inability to cut up their own food, but the selection procedure here must have been somewhat more sophisticated. No doubt they were looking for blokes in their late teens/early twenties a la 1940, but if I'd seen the ad I'd have done the appropriate WW2 thing and lied like mad about my age. Drat, too late, and, oops, not so easy to lie about my obviously middle aged girth and ever multiplying chins.